October 29, 2008

The Recent Lull

by Maria Torres




It has been several weeks since I last posted, and I am happy to report that Sooie has made a full recovery. I'm glad some of you enjoyed the graphic photos of her wound (Haley) so I'll be sure to post more if anything else like that comes up in the future.

Alright, so about running...two Sundays ago, I ran just about 19 miles - my longest run yet. I got a later start than I had hoped, and I knew I would be running part of it in the dark. I packed a headlamp in my Camelbak, and set out around 4:40 p.m. I wore my gloves the entire time because it was so cold, and the sun going down didn't help with that. I have only run a couple of times at night, and it actually worked out better this time because there was a full moon to light the streets. All things considered, I felt pretty good at the end of the run and know that I could have kept going had it been marathon day.

Unfortunately, in the last two weeks, I have fallen off of my running schedule. But luckily, I've managed to come up with some really good excuses. First, I traveled home for Sara & Taylor's wedding, and that took about 3 full days of driving. Next, I returned to Colorado with poison ivy covering my arms, neck, and eyelids. That made running just a little painful - the sweat really irritated my already swollen and bright red eyelids. Finally, I'm in the process of moving to Denver at the end of this week. The disorganization and chaos that comes with packing and moving has pushed running to the bottom of my priorities. I need to get it back up to the top though, because the marathon is 18 days away. *GULP*

I'm excited to spend the last couple of weeks trying out some new runs in Denver and Boulder. While in Denver last week, my friends Annie and David suggested an excellent route which follows the river downtown. I had a lot of fun on that run - it actually started pouring rain, and all the homeless people gathered under the bridges for shelter. They got a big kick out of Sooie running along right by my side, and she relished the attention.

With the marathon just around the corner, I have no choice but to really pick up the pace, so to speak, in the coming weeks. After moving this weekend, I plan to post much more frequently up until marathon day. I appreciate all of you who have followed this blog since July - it makes me feel so good to know there are people who actually do read it. When I saw Sara (now Mrs. Staley :) & Kathy (now Mrs. Farver)in Arkansas, they mentioned my latest post and it made me so happy! Thank you girls for reading it!

Finally, I want to ask all of you to be thinking about Stacy, my running cousin-with-the-mostest, who has been diagnosed with tendonitis. She had to skip the Tulsa Run, and has had to take some time off to let it heal. Allowing it to heal by not running on it is pretty much the only way she would still be able to run the marathon. Please keep her in your thoughts!

3 comments:

Amy said...

Maria, It's almost here...did time fly by or what? I think everyone gets injured/has setbacks one way or another when they run a marathon. I think I had to take off two weeks due to a knee injury right at the end of my training SO keep your head up you'll do fine!

Jose and Mary Dominguez said...

Hey Maria! I'm rooting for you and sooie....I hope she doesn't beat you in the marathon because that might create some hard feelings between you two. I would hate to see your relashionship fall apart...after everything you have been through.

Amy said...

Keep us posted on the move and your new routes! I am so excited / jealous that you are moving back to Denver/Boulder area. I hope Sooie is doing her fair share to help in the move, I am sure you stuffed her ruck sack up tight! hahaha :)