September 1, 2008

10 miles of joy, 2 miles of misery!

by Stacy Hogle

This is my first post in a few weeks, sorry for being a loser and not posting! Since my last post I have repeated week 6 and now Maria, David, Steve (fingers crossed he's still in the running...get it?!) and I are on the same training schedule. I was not able to get my long run in a two weekends ago so I repeated Week 6 and just finished Week 7. It was good to repeat a 'step-down' week, it helped give my shin splints and blisters a much needed rest. I think it was a good mental break too. I felt energized and clear minded going into the 12 mile run yesterday. My shin splints are still acting up a bit, but hopefully they are starting to heal enough where I don't have to wear my compression sleeves much longer. I know, I know...the compression sleeves look so cool, how could I not want to wear them? Besides the fact it looks like I am about to join a soccer game, they are just so hot. When I complete a run, whether it's a long or a short one, they are dripping with sweat. I know you guys are dying to see them so here they are:


So, I set my alarm Saturday morning for 6am so I could get up and run my 12 miles. Before the alarm went off I was awakened by thunder and lots of lighting, but no rain. I didn't want to chance getting ready and driving to the West side of town that early and get rained out, so I turned off my alarm and went back to sleep. That meant I had to do the run Sunday no matter what. I got up at 6am, got dressed and headed out to Hatbox. It was a beautiful morning with a slight breeze. The first 5 miles went extremely well. I felt good mentally and physically, and I was able to wear my new Oakley running glasses (courtesy of Hogle Eyecare Center, thanks J!). They feel alot better than my Versace's. I know...Versace sunglasses to run in? They were cute...the rhinestones added a very athletic touch I think :) But the Oakley's stay put and don't slide off my face which is a plus when you are sweating like a beast. That early in the morning there are not many people out on the trail until I get about halfway through. I did see the guy that had the pit bulls on my last long run. He was sans pitbulls, and I am happy to say running for fitness. That eases my soul a bit...it made me slightly nervous before, being dogfood doesn't sound like much fun. We waved and said hello and I continued with the run. At the end of the 5 I grabbed a quick drink of Gatorade and headed out for the final 7. I was feeling good when I hit the 10 mile mark and got a quick drink of water from the water fountain. I thought it was a quick drink but I think I had a little too much, my stomach was sloshing around for the last two miserable miles. If you just ran 10 miles, how could two more be so bad you ask? I don't have the answer, but my legs didn't want to move very fast and that made the pain last longer. My whole body started to ache...my abs, my back, my calves...you name it, it hurt. With a mile left all I could think about was how good a Diet Dr Pepper sounded. Weird, yes, but knowing I could stop at the McDonalds around the corner for a pop was my main motivation to finish. I shuffled around the parking lot a few times to make sure I hit the 12 mile mark. I was so thankful to be finished... time for Diet DP!!!

After I dried off and caught my breath, I got into the car and went to McDonalds. The line was wrapped around the building! I was getting hungry so I was going to get some apple dippers too. I am trying to eat well so I thought the apple dippers would be better than an Egg McMuffin. I am pretty sure I would have barfed if I tried to eat that though. As I am waiting in line to put my order in, some movement catches my eye on the side of the building. Was it a cat? NO! I was a rat! That brazen little beast kept running up and down the side of the building trying to get into one of the back doors. Note to those in Muskogee: don't eat at the McD's on 69 Highway and Okmulgee...blech! Thank goodness apple dippers are pre-packaged! Luckily I had my camera handy...check out the rat!

2 comments:

Maria Torres said...

HAHAHA! So glad you had your camera handy so you could capture this fabulous picture of the Mickey D rat! I DIED laughing when I got to the bottom of this post - you are so funny!! I think you must have been delirious from the long run ;)

Shelly said...

wish you could have put out an instant alert about the rat. i ate there the next day! BARF! so proud of you!!!!